Simple Starters for Two
15 very easy duets, ideal for young (or not-so-young) families who would like to make music together. Build fluency and strengthen confidence in reading notes & rhythms, while developing ensemble skills. Practise up a couple of tunes and perform them to friends or grandparents by video link!
- Part 1: Flute/Oboe
- Part 2: Clarinet in B-flat (or Bassoon*)
A higher version of Part 1 is also available for flute players who are comfortable with the upper notes.
Parts for flute and clarinet are well within the scope of players approaching ABRSM Grade 1 standard. Oboe players may occasionally require the forked F fingering but, in other respects, parts are again straightforward.
*The bassoon option to Part 2 can be a little more demanding, because of the keys involved (but will suit anyone learning using a band method). If your group doesn’t include a clarinettist, the related set Straightforward Starters for 2 offers the same material but sometimes in more double-reed-friendly keys.
- Au Clair de la Lune
- Articulation Waltz
- London Bridge is Falling Down
- Oranges and Lemons
- Happy Birthday
- Frere Jacques
- All Through the Night
- Sweet Betsy from Pike
- Menuet (Haydn)
- Johnny Todd
- Aura Lee
- Donkey Riding
- Land of my Fathers
- Trot, Trot, Trot
The download includes four PDF files:
- Complete set of parts for each instrument
- Transposing and concert pitch scores for the set
- Useful extras folder – cover sheet, details of how to find the parts you require, contents list, guidance notes.
- Links to access ‘bouncing ball’ play-along practice videos on YouTube
Don’t forget to keep a back-up of all four files!